23 December 2009

you *are* a whore, darlin'

in case you're wondering, the title of today's post is a quote uttered by cristal connors, gina gershon's character in that classic of 20th century cinema, showgirls (and if you haven't seen showgirls, maison21 insists you stop reading this post right this very second and netflix it- it's that important of a film).

so what does the quote have to do with decorating? well, as usual, not very much! maison21 just thought it fitting, as it touches on the real subject of today's post: whoring! for votes, that is...
you see, apartment therapy is having a little contest to celebrate the best shelter blogs, the 2009 homie awards, and some fool went and nominated m21! (thank you, by the way). we know we can't win- it would be mathematically impossible given the number of our readers, and really, we know we aren't quite in apartment therapy's demographic, either- we're just not hip enough for their room (but don't lump us in with the "gramma's favorite doilies, lace and musty antiques" blogs either- we're still kinda cool, we hope). most importantly, there are lots of fab design blogs nominated who really deserve the recognition for their hard work and 110% commitment, as opposed to our own half-assed effort- and that's the genius thing about the nominations- you can vote for them AND vote for m21 too- you can vote as many times as you like! we just want to get a couple of votes so we don't embarrass ourself by being the only person voting for us, that's all. calling maison21, lonely party of one... ;-)

you have until dec 29th to cast your vote, and need to be registered with apartment therapy.com to do so (easy as pie to register and no spam, promise). warning, there are 3 million kajillion nominees, so here's our voting shortlist if you'd like to crib. last, if you are nominated and not on my list, lemme know- you vote for me, i'll vote for you! quid pro ho and all...

so do an old (vote) whore a solid, darlin' and vote m21...

14 comments:

Paul Anater said...

Your whoring is working, you ahead of me. Looks like I need to get busy with the whoring too. Oh, and I agree, Showgirls is one of the most important films of the last 20 years. It's a holiday tradition in my house as a matter of fact. My friends and I watch Showgirls, Mommie Dearest and John Waters' Female Trouble every Christmas. Nothing like life as a walking, breathing stereotype is there? Hah! Actually, I'm fond of saying that I'm not a stereotype, I'm an archetype!

Uncle Beefy said...

I did it... because "I'm a dancer!" ;) lol

maison21 said...

i the boys would be on board with a post title from "showgirls"! i also kind of hesitated because lots of women view "whore" as a pejorative, when of course, i and many of my brethren have embraced it as a term of endearment, if not praise... :-p

thanks for the votes, guys! i voted for each of you as well!

and speaking of stereotypes, paul, i'm feeling like margo channing to whorange's eve harrington- i nominated her for a homie, and then she goes out and campaigns, beating me in votes! the noive! ;-)

Mina said...

I'll totally vote for you & you can vote for me! Sweet! : ) I do love your blog, by the way. : ) Glad to have discovered it. : )

Paul Anater said...

So long as it doesn't devolve into a confrontation a la Neely O'Hara and Helen Lawson in Valley of the Dolls you'll be OK. "So, you come crawlin' back to Broadway..." I can actually see that. Tula Jeng as Neely O'Hara. Oh Lord, now I have to watch Valley of the Dolls tonight as I wrap gifts!

Nim said...

I love the term whore and use it endearingly (and I'm a woman!).. but then I'm also completely inappropriate, or so I'm told.. today in fact.

Laura K. Aiken said...

whore? who's a whore? teehee
Good luck Paul--going to vote now.
laura.

Margaret said...

If I don't tell my adult daughter each day (like Mr. Rogers' routine), "You, my dear, are a skank!" and, "Who's my little skank?" you can be sure we're having a hormonal bitch fight and then it's total silence and absolutely no one is having ANY fun in the house! Remember, '..red shoes are for children and whores!'

katey said...

I'll quid pro ho you... go to Love Where You Live and vote for my mood board to win the boobie, I mean "runner up" prize.
http://thegreenplum.blogspot.com/2009/12/mood-boards-that-inspire-vote.html
The whole process might cause you to throw up in your mouth a little as it's all waaay not your style, so I'll understand if you can't bear it and have to quickly look away before you cast your vote (or burn out your retinas). Just know that I'll be voting for you either way...

DoxaHome.com said...

I adore your petition, too funny! Oh and glad you enjoyed Egyptian Lover;)

Happy holidays,
Jaime

maison21 said...

mina- voted 4 you! thanks and have a happy one!

nim, laura, & margaret-

from one whore to another, have the happiest of holidays, and thank for your votes! ;-)

(and margaret, i'm using that line tomorrow with my adult nieces- "who's my little skank"- priceless!)

katey- i "quid pro ho'd' your contest with a big old cop out- it's xmas, so it didn't feel right to pick one winner, so everybody wins!

merry xmas!

jaime-

you have no idea how much i enjoyed 'egyptian lover'- i pride myself on having the world's most comprehensive 80's pop/dance playlist on my ipod, yet somehow i had forgotten that one! so thank you for your early xmas gift and your vote!


thanks to all, from santa's little ho! merry christmas everybody!

Margaret said...

'Skankarella' is also the new 'Cinderella', FYI...m21...my little hon...*tweak*!

Tracy @ Comfort and Luxury said...

aaah! Christian! The comment above from "katey" is really from me... I realized this morning that any commennt I left anyone that day was after my daughter had used her own ID to do something on my computer. Damn kid! She doesn't even live here anymore! That'll teach me to go pokin around the blogs when I have no business being here and can't give it my full attention... very, very busy that day! Hope you had a fantastic Christmas. I'm going to spend the weekend in recovery. And unless I find the energy to go to a movie, I probably won't even leave the house!

Bromeliad said...

Your Latin is amazing.