07 March 2010

and the oscar goes to...

well, we know who the oscar is NOT going to, at least in two categories...

while going through our picks for the oscar pool at an academy awards party m21 is attending today, we were shocked to see the that prettiest picture of the year was NOT nominated for best art direction or costume design- what up with that? it may not have been the best movie of the year, but god dammit, "a single man" was the most gorgeous thing we've seen in theaters in a long, long, time (which also made it one of the best pictures of the year in our eyes too- pretty über alles *is* one of our mottoes, after all). the homes, the car, the college girl channeling bridget bardot, julianne moore's hair, colin firth's glasses- hell, ALL of colin firth, for that matter; scene by scene, "a single man" was meticulously visualized perfection, and deserves some sort of recognition for it. so even though it means we have no chance of winning our oscar pool by doing so, we are writing in "a single man" as our pick to win the oscar for art direction and costume design. in a more perfect (prettier) world, it would win for both, we're sure...

on a lighter note, the oscar party we are attending is a potluck, with guests asked to bring a dish inspired by a nominee. m21, inspired by both his lack of cooking skills, and the movie precious, will be bringing a bucket of greasy and delicious goldenbird fried chicken- and we're going to run out without paying for it too! ;-)
.

6 comments:

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

I totally agree. Except I think "A Single Man" should have been up for Best Picture. I've seen all the nominated films, I thought it the best. I just loved it. It was beautiful. I have a new appreciation for Colin Firth. I have seen the film twice. Critics have said the film is too beautiful and it distracts from the message. I admit I was distracted by the visuals a little the first time. But on the second viewing, not at all...and realized they enhanced the story just right. Another critique was that Colin looked too good in the film. I thought at first he did too...but upon the second viewing I realized that some of the most stylized moments are how Colin's character remembers them and I think he remembers things prettier than they actually, were...he likes things perfect...he remembers them perfect. He experiences things in a perfect manner. I just adored this film and thought it was ridiculous it wasn't nominated for more oscars.

hello gorgeous said...

I am glad to see that you thought it was beautiful but not the best although I feel like I need to see it again (a little too much cocktail time before a late movie = sleepy HG).

I am getting those glasses for my husband.

jones said...

Good luck with running out of the chicken shop---have a great time! Mary

Topsy Turvy said...

Christian - I couldn't agree with you more! Maybe Hollywood is just a teeny jealous that a fashion designer could jump right in and direct, produce & write the screenplay for a great movie. My favorites are A Single Man and An Education. Crazy Heart was pretty good too. Didn't see any of the violent ones.
-Lana

Margaret said...

You got that right, m21,'The Colonel's' era was classier, and finger-lickin' good, huh? Just like Colin and the stellar set design. Sigh...

vicki archer said...

Hope you had fun...and enjoyed that stolen chicken!
I like your thinking about 'A Single Man'....Colin Firth was brilliant even if the movie was a little slow but as for being beautiful...This film wins hands down. xv