18 May 2010

decorator cheat sheet (house beautiful colors for your home)

maison21 is a bit late to the party on this one, but he just picked up a copy of house beautiful: colors for your home, and can't recommend it enough. for years, our favorite feature of house beautiful has been their paint color recommendations at the front of the magazine- we religiously cut out the pages every month and have a folder reserved just for them, because yes, even we professionals can't know everything, and with thousands of thousands of paint colors to choose from, sometimes it's just nice to hear what has worked for others (its not like we decorators sit around at cocktail parties yakking about paint colors: "have you tried farrow and ball's 'orangery'? you must- it's simply divine!").

we've found this handy dandy little book to be a nice addition to our stable of crib sheets; it's smaller and lighter than our benjamin moore fandecks, so while not as comprehensive, it's still a nice lil' thing to keep in our bag and pull out when talking color with a client. it's certainly nicer then pulling out our folder of house beautiful tear sheets , and it's a great way to get the conversation started, as well as a useful resource for finding some new inspiration! ('cause the same ol' same ol' is sooooooooo boring).

pick it up the next time you are at the bookstore- m21 guarantees you won't regret it!

13 comments:

Sketch42 said...

Nothing is more annoying than that Benjamin Moore paint deck. Its a clunker! And you are right... to many colors to choose from!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

That little color feature each month is the one I look forward to the most. Took a few colors for my own home out of there. Got the book - now if only there was a way to add the recommended colors from future issues ...

Tracy said...

Ooooh, thanks!

Karena said...

Christian, I'll pick it up and Ialready see lots of colors in the palette I love.

Karena

Art by Karena

jones said...

Hi Christian, the new murano chandelier at The Atelier is amazing!! Love at first sight!! Mary

Amy Chalmers said...

I do the same thing..rip out the House Beautiful color section every time it comes, trim them off and stick them in a clear sheet and add to my folder. I love seeing other designers favorite colors!
Amy @MaisonDecor

Pigtown-Design said...

i love their new fabrics books. of course, i am a fabric whore, so the fact that i can stick it in my handbag is a plus!

xo

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

Too funny - I was just looking at this yesterday at B&N when I was doing my scan of new magazines. For some reason I didn't pick it up now I think I'll go back and get it. I do like that it's so compact. :)

kerry said...

Thanks for this post! Looking for a new living room color so I ran out and picked this up - it's great!
Kerry

Squeak said...

Hi Maison21!

In addition to their wonderful book, House Beautiful has just published a magazine called 500+ Favorite Paint Colors. It contains all the wonderful colors they've featured in their monthly columns.

Like you, I absolutely adore House Beautiful's paint color recommendations and have cut out almost every single one. But here they are, all in one place. I'm in heaven!

CindieQuilts said...

Wait. You fabulous designers don't sit around drinking cocktails and saying, "It's simply DIVINE!" Sigh. Another dream shattered...

Marija said...

I just picked this up though I haven't had a chance to look through it...totally excited. Having it on hand to discuss colors with clients is a great idea. I sometimes tote around the big Ben Moore color cases...impossible. My only thought was that I wish this came with a subscription...$10 (plus what I pay to subscribe annually) surprised me...

Grant K. Gibson said...

This has been on my list to buy.
Off to amazon.com to do it!

Happy Birthday :)