25 September 2008

the kindness of strangers...

we've said it before, and we'll say it again: one of the best parts of this whole blogging business is the people we've met through the magic of the internets. people whose faces we've never seen, but if we were in their city, we wouldn't hesitate to ring them up for a chat over coffee or cocktails. people who by all rights should be strangers to us, but are now valued friends, even if we've never met in person.

amongst the best of the blogging community is meg, of the delightful blog "pigtown design". meg and m21 share a particular love for flea markets, junk shops and thrift stores (as well as a passion for their respective pups, connor and mona), but when meg has written about her fabulous finds at her "book thing", that mutual love for the junk shop treasures turned to green-eyed envy on our part, and m21 could hardly stand to read about them- jealousy ain't pretty, and boy, was i jealous.

so imagine m21's delight when he received a parcel in the mail from meg containing one of her book thing finds! a copy of a vivienne westwood biography that i had left a comment about on her blog as a particularly appealing score, since dame viv is one of my personal heroes and inspirations. the fact that meg noted this, and took the time to schlep to the post office to share her find with me was incredibly touching (jealous no more!). the gift was doubly appreciated, as it arrived during my recent bout with back problems, on a particularly down day for me- well, it picked my spirits up more than meg possibly could have known when she sent it...
thank you so much, meg- your thoughtful gift is now on my nightstand, and every time i pick it up, i'll think of you, and the kindness of strangers turned friends!

16 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

M21... i am so touched by your kind words! I am so glad I was able to cheer you up when you've been in so much pain. I only wish I could have included some drugs! ;-)

maison21 said...

meg- the drugs i have PLENTY of, but an unsolicited kind gesture, i can NEVER get enough of. thanks again!

Tobi said...

Such a great post M.-- How swell of PTD to think of you! If per chance some dog-eared copies of Danielle Steele paperbacks would cheer you up please let me know.

Anonymous said...

Truly kind and dear.....you both must have wonderful mothers. Amazing to me how ones personality and generous spirit come alive with their written word.

Anonymous said...

forgot to sign Anon 8:44 ....Ginny

Suzy said...

aw, how sweet!

Visual Vamp said...

I am so glad you are back!!!
xo xo

pve design said...

maison, why I need to send something too.
this post warms the "Dickens" of my heart and makes me think of Scrooge and how his heart grew.
giving always makes me feel better, knowing that it made someone else feel even better!
where to send....?

The Peak of Chic said...

Meg is one of the kindest, most generous bloggers around!

Style Court said...

Meg is definitely a special soul. I admire her very much and am so glad to have gotten to know her in the way you (M21) described above. You really nailed the connections that have been made.

Style Court said...

oh and feel better soon!

Cote de Texas said...

I agree with Peak - Meg is a sweetheart. she is one of the best on the blogs. Love her!

Joni

Mrs. Blandings said...

I have been the happy recipient of Meg and her book thing finds - it is such a fun surprise. Mr. Blandings may scoff a bit at my "on-line" friends, but they are tried and true.

Habitually Chic said...

Does this mean I have to start sending you books???!!! Cause you know I will! I've missed you! Hope you are feeling better! Hugs and kisses to you and Ricahrd and Mona!

Be the change..... said...

This is funny, but I dropped off MY copy of this book at the bookthing! So you may have a book from me via PD ;-) Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

maison21 said...

well then, thank you to you as well, change! small world, isn't it?