01 June 2009

in da hood (literally)

these frenchy-french hooded chairs may be a bit overplayed, but this white-wash and burlap version maison21 glimpsed this weekend at h.d. buttercup was looking pretty fresh and the price was even fresher- $1450.00 (maison21 loves the use of burlap, coarse linen or raffia to take some of the formality way from french inspired pieces- it updates them a bit).while at h.d. buttercup, maison21 was astounded by the number of empty rooms in it's cavernous building, and is hoping it's not an ominous sign- we'd truly hate to lose yet another affordable resource for stylish furniture... anybody got any word on this?

8 comments:

Grant K. Gibson said...

I just adore the chairs and think that they are timeless and classic! What a price! Oh my!

mary said...

Hi Christian, It seems that everywhere you go in LA there is empty/available space. Sad! Hope that by September/October things start to turn around. Have you been to the "blue whale" recently? I heard that it was having trouble with its space available (moved out, out-of-business) as well.

Lucinda said...

I hate to say it but that price and your post gives me a bad feeling. If there are low prices and empty rooms at H.D. Buttercup somethin ain't right!

Tracy Pardue Watier said...

I'm a complete sucker for a frenchy-french chair. I'll take two, please.
And those sheep? in your previous post? I was always SO in love with them but kind of ashamed to admit it. Too bad about Source Perrier. I still have a few of their older catalogs I keep around for reference and an occasional over-the-top pretty fix.

Tricia Mitchell said...

Wow that is a good price. I just saw a pair of these, beautifully upholstered, a bit larger I think, and the per piece price was more than double this price.

Tricia - Avolli

Marie Mee said...

I love the burlap on white washed chairs. Dovetail offers the same look without the egg hooded shape. Totally on my wish list!

Things That Inspire said...

I have seen this style chair in some of the design magazines...not sure if I love it, but it is interesting!

So far, I don't think there have been many furniture stores in Atlanta that have closed (not keeping close tabs, though) - but I know that business is slow. Whenever I go into the design center, it is like a ghost town.

nicolette said...

I have a modern furniture and decor design boutique that I frequent a while back, but they went out of business. When the economy takes its toll, unfortunately, shops like these are the first to show.

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com