05 November 2008

maison21 takes a field trip...

y'all know that maison21 prides himself on his ability to sniff out a bargain- you know saving a little money on some things, so he can splurge somewhere else, yet keep the overall look luxe. so he's been a bit embarrassed when friends have commented on their finds from the homegoods chain, to admit he's never ever visited...

so we decided to take a post-election day field trip to see if the homegoods chain should be a stop on m21's cheap n' chic shopping tour, or if it should stay on our list of places we do not need to grace with our presence. our verdict? something in the middle- like any close-out chain, there is a reason the goods end up there- most items are cheaply made and not so stylish, and lots of stuff was just plain ol' broke down crapola. of course, there are always a few jewels amidst all the poo-poo, but m21 would not probably make another special trip to find them, but if we were driving right past one, and not pressed for time, it could be worth a stop.

amongst the finds on maison21's visit:

these faux bamboo folding chairs were kinda cute for extra seating, but only in the white and black lacquer finish- the silver and gold just looked cheap. if you are looking for something a little more permanent in the way of inexpensive dining chairs, maison21 would recommend just going with a classic banquette chiavari chair (just google "chiavari chiar")- they are widely available, and dirt cheap.
we also liked these pseudo-gustavian antique repro chairs for $299.

thought these glass obelisks were cool, but we'd immediately throw away the cheap plastic stands. we would have bought them too, but the large one had a chip, so 40 bucks seemed like a lot for damaged goods.

we would have bought one of these mirror framed mirrors as well, but every single one was broken- that's a lot of bad luck, homegoods!

these lamps weren't bad for $129.00- a little shiny for our tastes (doesn't make sense, we know, as m21 loves himself some shiny things, but these were just a little off). still, in the right room, they could work, and the price is good.

this "hotel"-esque king coverlet struck us as a good buy as well, for $79.99.
in the end, this leopard print door mat was the only thing we brought home- leopard print is always a dicey proposition, as it can seem so jackie collins, but hey- for $7.99, we'll risk it!

anyone out there have any good homegoods finds of their own they'd like to share?

14 comments:

Leah said...

Nice finds. I especially like the faux-Gustavian chair.

I stopped by a HomeGoods when I had an errand out it the 'burbs that took me past one a few months ago. Like you, I wanted to check it out, and god knows I love a bargain. But I could not get out of that place fast enough -- the total lack of visual merchandising and the cheapness/poor quality/mass produced/generic/soul-less nature of most of the store's wares was just depressing.

(Funny, tho, that while Tar-jay is all of those things as well, I find trips down the home-and-garden aisles there kind of fun ... And I have been known to cruise through my local Cost Plus and Pier One from time to time, too. So I'm definitely not a shopping snob -- but something about HG kind of freaked me out.)

P.S. How bad does it blow that Prop. 8 passed? I'm ashamed to be a Californian today.

maison21 said...

leah, i couldn't agree with you more! the skeeve factor at homegoods was so high, i couldn't wait to get the heck out! and also like you, i found it ironic- i can leisurely browse through the dirtiest, most disorganized thrift stores in the universe without a care, but the schlocky piles of junk at homegoods, i couldn't get away from fast enough!

as for prop 8- i am PISSED OFF! what should be such a dramatic victory is tainted now. i feel like i've been thrown under a bus. on one hand we have the incredible breakthrough of the first minority president ever, and then we have the same people that voted for him, TAKE AWAY A RIGHT from me- a right freely granted to every other adult american, mind you. the majority voting to strip the rights of a minority is not the america anyone should want.

just shameful.

Sarah said...

I have found a couple good things there before. I just have to envision the item outside of the Homegoods context. I've found some pretty painted metal wastepaper baskets (the ones that are $120-ish in gift shops) for around $20. My biggest success was finding a shelf full of Michael Aram leaf platters, bowls, etc for $14.99 each. But yes, I agree, there is alot of digging through polyester throw pillows and broken bookends to find the treasures!

bill said...

You obviously have a BAD Homegoods then b/c honestly, I practically LIVE there - maybe east coast Homegoods are just better - I have bought amazing Versace vases there, Missoni Home plates, Ralph Lauren tableware, a TON of the new design books like the new Elle Decor book (paid $4.99), Calvin Klein home stuff, Jonathan Adler stuff - the Versace vases retail for $250+ each and I got 2 for $20 - I could go on and on...it's obviously hit or miss and there is some awful things in there but truly some great finds - you should go back or to a different one!!

Jennifer said...

I shop at Homegoods more than I care to admit. The bed and bath section is excellent. There is no better place for deals on kitchen items. And I have purchased a lot of great books there as well (including Adler's book for $7.99 and one of Wearstler's books for $11.99). The artwork can be a real score. That being said, you really have to look hard to find the good stuff and ignore your surroundings.

maison21 said...

bill- i will definitely go to a different one, because what you describe is NOT what i saw! i want your homegoods store!

maison21 said...

ok jennifer- after hearing from you and bill, i'm for sure going back. i didn't even think to browe through the books!

Jennifer said...

Let me add that last year, I bought several Orrefors crystal candleholders and gave them as gifts. I also scored some ittalia items and Kate Spade crystal. They have excellent wrapping paper this time of year as well. I really could go on and on, but the key to Homegoods is to have at least an hour to scour through everything.

Pigtown-Design said...

A bunch of lulu guinness papergoods, and photo albums. a decent lamp last weekend because connor broke one.

i heard that one of the reasons that prop 8 didn't pass was because all the church-going african-americans who came out to vote for obama voted against gay marriage.

Karen said...

I LOVE Home Goods! I also live on the East Coast, so maybe Bill had a good point there. I've gotten mirrors, candleholders, pillows, a table lamp...the list goes on :)

Also, I know for a fact that professional home staging firms (that charge huge fees) get many of their accessories at Home Goods. Give it another try--but only when you're in a rumaging mood.

Emily Johnston | EJ Interiors said...

Your home goods looks even better than ours!!!

I found a $39 task lamp for my desk- looks just like one at P Barn.

Then I found a pink teapot that I put in my dining room and some acrylic pic frames that were pretty cute. You really have to dig though! It's so hit or miss!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Thanks for the hint about the extra chairs. I need two. Off to google "Chiaveri Chairs."

Anonymous said...

HomeGoods is not the place to shop for furniture, rugs, etc. It IS the place to pick up design books, all things kitchen/Dining related (Biltons of England Blue Willow plates for $2!!), specialty food items, closet organization items, etc. Selection does very location. Give it another try in an upscale suburb and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Diva Style said...

*GASP* YES!! Where has this blog been all my life?! I just did a blog post on all the lamp lusting I was doing over at Home Goods for the past two days, and ended up bringing home 3 of them!