06 July 2009

this is what blogging is all about...

the interaction between readers, bloggers and our whole delightful community of like minded souls, is one of the main reasons i blog, and i suspect it's the same for others. that's why the comments left are so important- just as important as the blogs themselves, really. the comment section is where ideas are shared, relationships formed and a community is built. i've had blog comments that have made me laugh, comments that have educated me, comments that have literally changed my way of thinking about a subject, and of course, i've also had the occasional comment that has made me want to hurl something at my computer screen! but last week, via email, i received the first comment that made me full on cry, and today i'd like to share it with you- not to build myself or pat myself on the back (though lord knows i love doing those things), but hopefully as an inspiration to others who might be thinking along a similar line to the email's author.

and to marian, the sender of the email, thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with me (and the permission to share with all of you out there). if i ever had any doubt of why i do this whole blogging thing, you've erased it. thank you for your generosity of spirit- you've made my day, my week, my whole blogging year...

here we go:

Hello M21: I check your blog daily because I so enjoy reading it. Your humor and sense of perspective avoids the pomposity that seems to be present in so many blogs, your sense of style, and your occasional very touching and thought-provoking musings.

I wanted to write and tell you how your blog has affected my life. Now you would probably prefer to know that your beautiful decorating has transformed my life, but no. It was one of your wonderful blogs about Mona and Richard.

I have lived with cats for a very long time. I adore them and they are a joy to live with but for a couple of years, since I moved to a small acreage, I have been thinking of adding a dog to my "family". I haven't lived with a dog since I was a teenager, but now the time and place seemed right, even though I work fulltime.

I was determined to get a purebred dog and had researched breeds with the characteristics that I wanted (temperament, lack of aggression, intelligent and trainable, large enough to enjoy long walks -- the works really). A woman at work kept suggesting that I go to the Humane Society but I kept resisting. I had arguments about getting a dog with problems that I couldn't handle, like aggression or separation anxiety, about how all the dogs would be labrador retrievers or spaniel mixes or rottweilers.

Then I read your wonderful story about finding Mona. It changed my thinking. All the humane societies in my area did have labs, spaniels, etc. -- an experience much like yours. Sooo, I followed your petfinder link and it linked me with the Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue. I applied and passed the home inspection and settled down thinking that it would be a long wait for a dog close to my needs, but in less than a week a dog appeared on their website who seemed close to perfect.

I drove to Iowa just over two weeks ago and picked up my wonderful, oversized, blue merle 5 year old collie. He is just wonderful! He may not meet standards for collie physical perfection, but his sweetness and gentleness shine through his eyes. I discover new things about him every day -- all of them pretty wonderful (well, we're still working on his relationship with the cats -- he's very curious and to them, pretty scary).

So thank you for your beautifully written, touching and funny blogpost about adopting Mona. It has enriched my life by opening it up to this beautiful, abandoned dog.

(P.S. I attached a picture. Believe it or not, he also matches my living room. Bonus.)

*sniff* how sweet is that? lucky doggie and lucky marian (and yes, for those curious, doggie and kitties are still adjusting to each other just fine).

here's the link you'll need if you'd like to follow marian's example: www.petfinder.com, and if you are already set with an devoted companion, or can't own a pet, or simply not interested (that's ok, too- pets aren't for everybody), then please click on the button below to feed a stray- it's totally free and takes seconds- just a simple click. thanks!
The Animal Rescue Site

20 comments:

Tracy @ comfortandluxury said...

Wow, Christian. Look what you did! Just when we thought decorating was a superficial pursuit... and sometimes have to work hard to justify why we care so much about sofas... you go and get all inspirational.
This post and Marian's email say everything about why I love reading your blog... we never know what we're gonna get but it's always good!

Southern Aspirations said...

Hooray! Love it when I hear stories like that.

- From a proud rescue mommy of 3 dogs and foster mom to many more (over the years).

Vickie H. said...

OMG!!!What a wonderful story! For those of us labor away in animal rescue it is these happy endings that we live for...when a poor, disadvantaged pooch suddenly hits the jackpot and is matched up with his/her forever home where there is plenty of food, water, treats, toys, safety and LOVE. There is so much good about you, dear Richard, I could positively GUSH! But there is limited room here..so suffice it to say you are loved and admired by this rescuer and many others! Thank you for always plugging our cause, which, sadly, is never ending!
Vickie Hurst
Dallas, Texas
Animal Guardians of America
www.animalguardians.com

The Townhouselady said...

Oh shoot, I'm sniffling now too.

I LOVE stories like this. I hope you don't mind if I do a link to this on my site (you let me know if you do). I've always been a big supporter of adoption rather than the purchase of animal and this exemplifies why.

Beautiful dog, beautiful story. Even my cats are touched by it.

Scratch that, they're just hollering for food. Here I thought they were crying with me (cold blooded)!

Dianne said...

What does this writer have against Labs?...mine was a pound puppy and could not be a better pet.

sketch42 said...

M21 - I love you! That is such a sweet story. Really touching!

katiedid said...

I can see why a comment like this would mean so much! What a great story. I love coming here too to hear about all of your amazing adventures made so much better by your sense of humor. I love Mona and Richard....I feel like I know them through your descriptions....and being a dog/cat person myself, I can see why meeting Marian made your day.

I am going to go push that food button now.

muralimanohar said...

This blog thing is about more than the pretty pictures...it's about us people behind them. WTG. :)

Bonnie said...

What a sweet happy ending story! Im so glad Marian was inspired by your blog and Mona and Richard, and found such a wonderful doggie. Your blog DOES matter ... to me too! I clicked on the animal rescue site too.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing twist for a Comment and so touching for all animal lovers to reach out with a positive end result......adopting through an animal rescue site.

Denise
discountdesignerfabrics.blogspot.com

mary said...

Hi Christian, Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. Last Fall I adopted an abandoned siamese. He was supposed to weigh under 15 lbs., be around 4 years old, love dogs and get along perfectly with other cats (I have both) and love humans. Mini Beast does love humans and adores being close and loved but........he is now about 25 lbs., at least 8 years, and hate(d) other cats and dogs. It was taken 9 full months to get to the point where he will not attack my tiny female cat; the dog now has the full time job of keeping the two separate. (Huge Poodle loves the job) The question is "Has it been worth the effort?"--Definitely, I have "Pit Bull" cat positioned two inches from the computer screen; tiny cat under my chair and Jones beside me. Everyone is finally happy and Jones now has two cat bowls to clean.
Yes, adoption works, but you have to be committed to the process.
Thanks so much for advancing the cause of saving abandoned animals--so much love in those little bodies.
Have a great week.

home before dark said...

Lovely. Just today a story in our paper was about our humane shelter went over capacity because of lost/runaway dogs over the July 4 holiday.

Words go out into cyberspace, and you never know what happens. We witnessed liberty trying to twit itself into being. And today we hear of two lives who found each other because of words cast into space. Amen...a more than a few awomens. Good work and much happiness.

Meg said...

This is so sweet!!! Awww...thanks for sharing!

Pigtown-Design said...

Awwww! You know I am a huge supporter of adopting animals. Connor came from Petfinder, which has a link to our city pound. He's not always been the easiest dog to have, but I don't love him any less for that. It just takes one look from his deep brown eyes to know that I did the right thing in adopting him.

Suzy said...

aaaw...what a sweet story!

TheBeautyFile said...

I LOVE your dogs!!! They are just absolutely adorable! I love corgy mixes...I am convinced my "pommy-spaniel" that I adopted 2 years ago has a little in him too!!

susie q said...

I love that -- and you're right, it's the reason for blogging. I have one breeder dog and one rescue (from Petfinder!). I love them both so much it almost hurts...

出張ホスト said...

女性会員様増加につき、当サイトの出張ホストが不足中です。女性の自宅やホテルに出向き、欲望を満たすお手伝いをしてくれる男性アルバイトをただいま募集していますので、興味のある方はTOPページから無料登録をお願いいたします

SM度チェッカー said...

あなたのSM度をかんたん診断、SM度チェッカーで隠された性癖をチェック!真面目なあの娘も夜はドS女王様、ツンデレなあの子も実はイジめて欲しい願望があるかも!?コンパや飲み会で盛り上がること間違いなしのおもしろツールでみんなと盛り上がろう

セレブ said...

セレブラブでは心とカラダに癒しを求めるセレブ女性と会って頂ける男性を募集しています。セレブ女性が集まる当サイトではリッチな彼女たちからの謝礼を保証、安心して男性はお金、女性は体の欲求を満たしていただけます。興味がある方は当サイトトップページからぜひどうぞ