11 December 2007

farewell my lovely...

i'm always excited about my next find- the item i'm most in love with is usually the one i haven't found yet. that's why my "catch and release" decorating system works so well for me- it's more about the hunt, not so much the keeping: find it, use it, sell it. keep things churning, and i'm happy.

except sometimes. every so often i sell something, and then find myself wondering "why did you ever let that one go?". that's the situation i found myself in this week, as i packed up this fabulous mirrored zebra statue to go to it's new home. isn't he fabulous? so chic, yet just a little bit on the gaudy side, like a judith lieber purse gone mutant big (in a good way- if there is a good way to reference judith lieber purses). of the hundreds of animals that have walked in and out of the maison21 atelier over the last few years (i have a bit of an animal obsession right now), this is one i'll remember wistfully. come to think of it, the last animal i regret selling was a zebra statue too. that's it- i hereby swear- with all 5 of my blog readers as witnesses- that the next fabulous zebra statue i find, i'm keeping it. forever. cross my animal-addicted heart, no more selling the zebras...
ps: my apologies- i swore my blog would never degenerate into an infomercial for my ebay sales, but i've had the flu and haven't felt able to come up with a decent post idea. so i'm taking the easy way out. plus, i really am shockingly sad to see this guy go... (is there a psychological term for becoming emotionally attached to inanimate objects, just because they are pretty?)

9 comments:

Fairfax said...

Hope you're feeling better!

I feel the same way... it's the thrill of the hunt. It's a rush when you walk into some out of the way thrift/junk/antique store and find that item back in the corner that no-one else has spotted and that you know is just a perfect thing.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

The practically omniscient Mrs. E. once had me sell stock to buy a real zebra rug found in an antique store. I was... reluctant, and broke. I can't imagine living without Lulu now.

I hope you find another.

How about an "aesthetophilic?"

Habitually Chic said...

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather. I thought you were atill shopping in Palm Springs! Don't worry about the zebra, I'm sure you'll find another one who's hopefully not so bedazzled ;-)

Suzy said...

Don't know, but if there is, I think we all have it!!

All Things Bright and Beautiful... said...

Dear Maison - hope you're feeling better soon and looking forward to seeing the lucky zebra who gets to live with you permenantly.

Mrs. Blandings said...

yes, it's called having shockingly good taste.

maison21 said...

thanks for all your well wishes, everyone! feeling better, and hoping to get back in the blogger's seat soon! (first, have to get caught up on work- ugh!)

Anonymous said...

Maison, love you darlink, but you're better off without the zebra. I'll incur the wrath of all the zombie Wearstler devotees here for saying this, but somebody has to address the elephant in the room: Hollywood regency is over! And all this animal shiz is seriously tacky. Get over your addiction!

Of course bad taste is better than not taste. Yada, yada, yada. But don't waste tears on that zebra. Ugh! I shudder to look at it. That thing looks like it belongs in the Reverend Ted Haggard's apartment.

OMG, I just saw your tiger (cub?)! Yikes! I'm thinking you need a design intervention. [cue Amy Winehouse] There's gotta be a Promises in Malibu for animal tchokes addicts.

Layler said...

Not digging the mirrored zebra so much, but I understand that pang of regret on a sale - seller's remorse. I've gotten rid of a few things at garage sales or Goodwill donations, and then searched my entire house for the item a year later...

Hope you are feeling better.

I'll seriously keep an eye out for any fabulous zebra statues in central Ohio - hey, ya never know.