21 May 2008

p.s. i love you (trina turk residential, if i remember correctly)

maison21 recently spent his birthday weekend in his favorite southern california spot, palm springs. normally, when maison21 is in the desert, it's all about the shopping, but this trip was really all about friends and fun- we spent most of our time eating, drinking and laughing. in fact, maison21 was only able to squeeze in one brief shopping adventure, and was even thwarted on that trip by having forgotten his wallet at home. in his last post, m21 talked of how happy he was to be turning another year older. well, here's one of the downsides of aging, kiddies: your ability to remember the simplest of things- like a wallet- is gone. life becomes a game of "what did i do with that?". it's a minor annoyance comparatively, but m21 has to be honest to all you kids he got all excited about turning 45- there are trade-offs to everything in life! (yet another piece of wisdom that comes with age).
on maison21's one brief, and sadly purchase-free shopping adventure, he spotted that the new trina turk residential boutique had finally opened, so he had to duck in... the boutique is just what resort shopping should be: a sleek, modern and bright space filled with colorful tchotchkes, at price points from from a little to a lot, but nothing so crazy that you could never imagine spending that kind of money on an impulse buy. the interior is pretty darn fab as well- worth a visit even you have no intention of buying a thing (or like m21, couldn't buy even if you wanted to, due to the infirmities of old age). unlike the trina turk clothing boutiques- both next door in p.s. and here in los angeles, designed by our hero, kelly wearstler- the trina turk residential boutique was designed by phil smith of the art office. you can see some great photos of the space before the merchandise was moved in, at phil's own blog here.
ms. turk has filled the boutique with a selection of gift items from other lines to compliment her own line of signature brightly colored textiles, with which she has covered some fun vintage furniture, as well as sewn up into pillows and throws. we were told that the fabrics will be available by the yard as well, so you can bring a little fun trina turk resort ethos into your own decor!if maison21 had remembered his wallet he might have bought one of the below awesome volcanic glaze ceramics by josh herman, and he knows he would have bought one of trina's new scented candles. the "beach" scent was pretty terrific, so m21 will be returning for one soon- he meant to return for one before he left town, but of course, he forgot...

(ok, maison21 has to be honest here, and quit blaming old age for the wallet being left at home- it was a hangover that made him forget it, alright? see old age is good, whereas hangovers at any age are bad!)the trina turk boutique is on the same block of palm canyon as house 849 (one of maison21's faves) and fitzsu society (a great modern gift store- think moss without all the scary zeros on the price tags), so he recommends a stop for anyone doing a little shopping tour of the area- maybe you'll run into maison21 buying a candle or two- and if he's forgotten his wallet, would you mind spotting him for one? he'll pay you back- he swears! if he remembers, that is...

7 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

What a great looking shop! And don't worry about losing your memory, that's what post-it notes are for!

mrlfvl said...

Oh M21...don't be so hard on yourself. If it makes you feel any better, I am 32 and EVERY day I have to run in and out of my house about half a dozen times before making it out of the driveway because I forgot something. It has become SO problematic that I now carry a spare set of house keys in my purse so I don't have to turn my car off to run back inside. Pitiful. I prefer to think that we are just so highly distractable because of all of the creativity pulsing through our veins...whatever makes one feel better, right? I will say - adult "time release" ritalin does help...I highly recommend it. Anyway, LOVE Trina Turk's clothes - totally foaming at the mouth over her home goods. Great post! P.S. - thanks for the Barcelona chair advice - we bought 2 today in yummy white leather...

maison21 said...

meg- i have so many post-it notes stuck around my work area, that it looks like it's a colorful tile mosaic!

megan- you are very welcome for the advice! a white leather barcelona is a classique!

and you are correct- it's not really age related memory loss for me either- i've always been this way! several years back, i actually gave up my atm card because i left it in every machine i used. i would probably still be without one, but the bank insisted i get a new card.

what else? i only buy inexpensive wallets because i lose about 2-3 a year. same with sunglasses- which is harder, because cheap sunglasses are gross. i now stick with classic raybans- at least i'm only out a about 125.00 a pop.

and keys? how about the time i threw away my keys in a dog poop bag? it was either dig them out, covered in poo, or break a window to get back in. i broke the window, of course.

so after all that, i guess i'm off to make an appointment with my doc for the ritalin!

mrlfvl said...

You are too much. I don't have an ATM card either because I have a chemical disconnect in my brain such that I cannot a. keep track of my purchases, and b. cannot remember my pin number. So, I honestly have no ATM card. I often drive to the bank with a check made out to "cash" for that reason. My husband thinks I am "special"...

maison21 said...

megan- i'm glad i'm not the only one with an atm card problem. i really don't want to have one- it's a bit degrading having to call once a month for a replacement, but my bank won't let me go without. i tried, but everytime i went to cash a check or deposit, they would ask for one, adn eventually they must have made note of my refusals on their computer because one day the manager came over to stress to me the "importance" of having a card for my own security. i felt like i was being given an offer i couldn't refuse by the mob or something, so i succumbed...

All Things Bright and Beautiful... said...

Dear M, I love this post!! its fab!! You know I would tho with all the colour!!:-)

Wallets and forgetting things? I am the QUEEN!

You should have 3 children under 3:-)


... where did I leave my head????

Hugs bug

Felicity

maison21 said...

felicity-

YOU HAVE THREE KIDS UNDER 3?

for reals? if so, i am in awe that you even have time to turn on your computer, much less make multiple postings in a day!

cra- zazy!