24 February 2010

up to my old tricks (a repeat of a quick n' easy decorating tip)

much as we'd like, not every project has the budget for custom window treatments (sorry about the use of that dreaded phrase, hobac- we know you don't approve ;-), but just because our budget doesn't allow for our preferred option, it doesn't mean we can't fake it a bit, and dress up some off the rack curtains to look as if they were custom made (this way we can free up money to splurge elsewhere in the project too!) we've shared this trick with you once before but we hope you'll forgive us if we share it with you again since we just used it today for a client (one of the last finishing touches for our melrose hill bungalow living room. the curtains themselves went up a while back, but we took our time to find just the right trim- sometimes, it's worth the wait to get the details juuust right). the results look kinda great, we think; also, this really is one of our favorite fast n' easy decortin' tricks, and it's "sew easy", anyone can do it, so why not share it again?
m21 selected some pottery barn "peyton" linen grommet top curtains (on sale + trade discount = bargain). some people seem to have a deep seated hatred of grommet tops, but m21 thinks they are clean, unfussy and modern, and for the choices offered in off the rack styles, to our eye they are the best alternative for transistional to modern decor. to dress the panels, we added some vintage trim (new old-stock purchased off ebay), which we simply attached with iron-on hemming tape (the sew-easy part. no sewing= yay)! the vintage quality of the tape we selected really helps soften the straight outta the package look of the peyton panels, and we purchased enough of the tape to trim some custom pillows as well, which will help tie our ready-made curtains into the custom look of the entire room (and yes, we'll share the pillows with you too, when our workroom finishes them up, so you can see how the entire project all came together).
totally easy, yet totally chic, m21 hopes- what do y'all think?

11 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

I think it was definately worthy of an encore! Love the teture on the ribbon and it really does dress those panels up.
Thanks for sharing,
L.

Margaret said...

In the mid 1960s, my mom went through her 'window treatment' phase. I just remember being confused, and disappointed, as I thought our 1950s ugly casement windows, and screens, would be replaced with something beautiful. Those gold drapes, now dry rotted and faded, are still hanging in the house, as this past fall the new owners insisted 'they must convey.'

m21, perhaps your lovely 'hobacs' will 'convey' well into the 21st century!

LindsB said...

I love that trim, it adds nice interest to the curtains! I have to search on ebay more for stuff like this, I need to do some curtains for my bedroom and these would be perfect.

jones said...

Love the tape--not a solid! It almost has a Kuba cloth feel to it. Thanks for the tip!! The iron-on part is the clincher. Have a great day. Mary

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

Awww, I had hoped for some ruffles... ok, only kidding, it's a very simple and elegant solution - I like it.

Karena said...

Great tip and they look beautifully custom! Thanks so much for sharing!

Karena

Tracy @ ComfortandLuxury said...

Beautiful and smart.

David said...

Clean and simple yet not dull, I bet the client is pleased. I certainly would be.

Katherine Lee said...

wonderful ideas, thanks so much for sharing! also, i wanted to let you know that i recently added you as a banner link over at urban flea. i'd love for you to swing by sometime and let me know what you think! hope you're having a wonderful week my dear!

xo urban flea :)
http://www.urbanfleadesign.net

Tammy@InStitches said...

They look very handsome ! I feel your pain.... I "dress" windows every day. I don't treat them, I'm not a doctor, don't like that term. But, I do prefer draperies over curtains and I promise I'm not pretentious at all ! We need to brainstorm and come up with a better term.

Laurie Blaswich said...

Stunning Stunning, Stop and visit if you get a chance, I am new to bloging it's so much fun!

Fondly, Laurie