05 August 2008

a better way to enjoy the monkey on your back...

maison21 is a self-confessed monster in the mornings- he is NOT one of those people that wakes up happy to be alive and ready to face the day's challenges with a smile (hate them perky bitches).

but he does tend to mellow out after his first couple cups of coffee, so he's always on the lookout for a good caffeine injection system, to both quick start his conciousness in the a.m., and yes, feed his full blown caffeine addiction. after figuring out that his twice daily quad-soy latte, at five bucks a pop, might be putting a crimp in his financial freedom, but having no intention of going cold-turkey or surrendering his daily vice, he made a vow to start brewing at home.

we've tried our own expresso maker (hassle), and enjoyed a french press for a while, but kept relapsing and returning to the starbucks. we now think we might have hit upon the secret to delicious, relatively hassle free brewing at home: the toddy cold brew coffee system.


we first read about the toddy system in an old issue of domino, and it's been percolating in the back of our mind until we decided to take the plunge about a month ago (who says you can only get decor tips from a decorating magazine?).

though it seems to fly against the laws of nature (cold coffee?), the coffee brewed is delicious, lasts for days and it provides a much lower level of acidity (my stomach lining is seriously thanking me). though it's makers tout it as "super concentrated", we find we like it mixed one to one with soy milk (and lots of sweetener- it is strong). it does take 10 hours to brew, so some advance planning is involved, but since the results last for several days, that advance planning is easily beat by by the hassle of avoiding the daily grind (sorry).

get a toddy- if you are a coffee lover, it will change your life (and, yes, they have an associate program, but m21 didn't sign up- he just wants to reach out to other java junkies, as a service to his fellow addicts. if he can help just one person get free from the starbuck's daily money suck, than that's all the payment he needs).

now, back to decorating...

10 comments:

Emily said...

The first few lines of your post reminded me so much of....me! I hate mornings (not hate, absolutely loathe them) I don't drink coffee so I am a complete zombie until around lunch time...glad to know someone else feels my pain! ha

muralimanohar said...

I seriously am considering one of those things....friends have been RAVING about using them for Vietnamese iced lattes, and I have a weakness for those.

Adding one more recommendation to my list of reasons why I need one. :p

Alex said...

OK - done! I'll test drive a Toddy...Yea, I was pounding my 3rd
'Bucks' ice coffee by 8 and this may be a real treat...unfortunatel I won't be able to sneak out of my store as much. Hmmm???

maison21 said...

emily, i don't know how you do it without coffee! even with coffee, i try NEVER to schedule meetings before noon (chances are i'll just for get what the meeting was about anyway, so it's a waste of everybody's time) and my friends know to not call my in the mornings- though they are all welcome to call until late at night- all that caffeine keeps me up!

murali- if you like vietnamese iced coffee, then you NEED one...

alex- let me know how you like it! and i'm sure you can come up with another reason to sneak away...

franki durbin said...

I've recently begun enjoying what I refer to as "the breakfast of champions..." a sugar-free Red bull on my way out the door as I head to the gym.

Suzy said...

Ha! I hate those perky bitches too. Anyone that can be civil before 10am is a freak as far as I'm concerned!

SGM said...

Hee hee...perky bitches. I used to be one, but reading blogs (like yours) keeps me up late into the night. Might have to give that cold brew a try.

alis said...

Ha! My boyfriend wakes up so sweet that he's literally singing, while I'm a murderous bitch. After I get my cafein dosage I feel so bad for being so mean. The coffee invention of the year would be something that we could drink the night before and be effected by it as soon as we wake up. How about coffee capsules to swallow, that break after 6-8 hours in the stomach?

maison21 said...

alis- you need to patent that idea, and make a fortune! I WANT THAT PILL!!

Frank, Robin, said...

I don't know how you do it without coffee! even with coffee, I try NEVER to schedule meetings before noon and my friends know to not call my in the mornings- though they are all welcome to call until late at night- all that caffeine keeps me up!