Google+

04 June 2010

NKOTB

meet the new kid on the block. he doesn't have a name yet, so we can't formally introduce you, but you'll be seeing a lot of him around here.

NKOTB

we first saw him on petfinder last sunday. a rescue organization, molly's mutts and meows, had sprung him from the crowded LA county baldwin park animal shelter because he "didn't show well" (meaning in danger of not being adopted), and they were fostering him at the rescue founder's home about a mile from the atelier (next door by LA standards). he was hanging with 3 dogs and 4 cats, and got along well with all of them. did we want to come meet him monday? you bet!

his petfinder portrait- love at first sight!

the minute i met lil guy at molly and greg's home, i was smitten. long and low with a beautiful tawny coat and sweet golden brown eyes, he had the sweetest disposition- he could have cared less about the other doggies and kitties, but wouldn't let molly and greg (the rescuers) out of his sight. we went for a walk, and hung out for a while, and molly and greg filled me in on his story- his prior owners surrendered him to the shelter because they were moving. they said so far, he was sweet and affectionate, but didn't know much else as he was such a recent addition to their rescue. they thought perhaps he was between 3 and 5 years old, and a mix between a tibetan spaniel and a welsh corgi, but again, nothing was certain. what they did know for sure was that he was cat-friendly (most important), and in desperate need of some love and a forever home. of course, i was sold immediately, and wanted to take him home on the spot, but they wanted to have him checked by their vet first, so we made arrangements to have him come meet richard thursday, and if all went well, he'd stay.

21 lbs of pure adorableness.

he's been here for 18 hours now, and couldn't be sweeter. he's got no skills- no "sit", "stay", or "fetch", but wags his tail whenever i walk into the room, so that's good enough for me! the rest will come in time. yes, he looks a bit like my little girl mona, and i hope in a karmic way that a little bit of her spirit lives in him, but his own unique personality will emerge once he gets used to his new home, and we can't wait! right now though, new guy is a bit shellshocked after being shuttled between 4 homes in the last 3 weeks, not to mention surgery (his stuff was intact), and his probable first visit to a vet and a groomer (so sweet of molly to have him groomed- i would have happily taken him all stanky and stuff).
i just can't figure what the heck is goin' on...

richard on the other hand, ain't quite as excited about our new member of the family as i am. yesterday when lil guy was in the bedroom, bloodcurdling growling noises like i've never heard before were emanating from underneath the bed, and richard has since only emerged briefly from his place of safety. so for now, we're keeping lil guy downstairs and richard gets the bedroom to himself 'til things sort themselves out. i know he'll get used to the new addition in time, and hopefully he'll even become BFF's like he was with mona. we all have a bit of adjusting to do here at the atelier!

i hope he'll emerge eventually.

speaking of adjustments, we still have to find this little guy a name. before we brought him home, we were all set on "benigno" (derived from kind and friendly in latin languages- i know, weird), but now that we've met him, it just doesn't fit, nor did our back-up choices of "lord nelson" or "juan carlos de borbon y baldwin parque" (again, i know- i'm weird). today, we're thinking a simple, classic, name might suit him better- angus, bennett, conrad, darrin, elliot, francis, harry, laurence, nelson, percy, and reuben, are all in the running (amongst others). we're wide open to suggestions, btw (can't you tell?) so fire away if anyone has any good ideas- we could use the help! (all suggestions are non-binding of course- lil guy and i get the final say; and, FYI, we warn you- no silly pet names like "cuddles" or "buddy" will be tolerated- we think of animals as little people in fur suits, so it follows we like people names for 'em too ;-).
give me a name already!

thanks for making the new kid on the block feel welcome, and we look forward to your help with the name game! and thanks to molly's mutts and meows for bringing this sweet little guy into my life!

49 comments:

Avolli said...

He is absolutely adorable!!! Oh my he is sweet. He is so lucky to have you and a home that will love him.

Tricia

Slim Paley said...

He's so sweet!! Such beautiful eyes.
He looks like an Oliver to me :)
No pressure tho.

Congratulations!

CindieQuilts said...

Cooper.

CindieQuilts said...

Oh, and I forgot to say he is ADORABLE. What a face. He looks like such a loving little dude, I'll think you'll be happy together forever.
And Richard - get over it. (Cats can be weird.)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

How adorable!!!! No wonder why you coudln't resist. I sort of love the name Angus for some reason.

Rebecca June said...

Gregory and Dorothy have to meet! Maybe they know some of the same pups from the old neighborhood.

BTW, Gregory is my vote for a name.

xoxo

Rebecca June

Rebecca June said...

Gregory and Dorothy have to meet! Maybe they know some of the same pups from the old neighborhood.

BTW, Gregory is my vote for a name.

xoxo

Rebecca June

boops said...

he's so handsome. i'm in love!

Tracy said...

So, so cute!!! "Didn't show well?" Craziness! Shelters are just nuts. Thank goodness he found Molly & Greg and they found you!
He looks like a Farley to me. :}

Dianne said...

So cute! let's go the route of famouse redheads for a name...here are a few:
Napoleon
Winston Churchill
General Custer
Ron Howard
Red Buttons
Reubens-always painted redheads
Whatever you choose he will be running when you call and full of kisses. Again...so cute!

Sketch42 said...

Im in love with him. What a sweetheart. How bout Kid?

Elizabeth said...

Awwww, he's nothing but sweetness!

We recently brought home a little boy kitten, and thus had to compile an extensive list of names. We settled on Phineas (Phinney for short), but runners up were... Marlowe, Caspian, Harper, Royal, Conrad, Dorian, Cal, Thatcher & Chase.

Good luck finding the right moniker, and good luck coaxing Richard out from under the bed. By the way, our older cat, Matilda, reacted similarly to the arrival of Phineas. A few weeks later and they're coexisting like it's no big thing. Richard will get over it!

Fauxology said...

Loved the story -- and the pics. I have cats and Richard's pic made me laugh. I really do hope he comes around sooner than later. Love the name Oliver or Elliott, btw. Whatever you choose will be wonderful.

Habitually Chic said...

He's so adorable! I like Oliver too! He looks like an Oliver.

ldinteriors said...

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BOTH OF YOU!!!
He is unbelievably adorable!
Completely agree about pet names. I've always wanted to use C.K. Dexter Haven from the "Philadelphia Story" but maybe he looks more like a "George Kittredge"?
- Whatever name you choose I'm sure it will be perfect. 'm so happy for the both of you!

La Maison Fou said...

Oh Christian;

What a wonderful face!

Mona would approve too! A real cutie.

L.

Jennifer said...

Why not Benigni, as in Roberto Benigni, as in Life is Beautiful?!

SO cute.

interior sublime said...

what a sweet face, he looks like a Sammy to me :-)

Teresa Meyer aka TheStamfordWife said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww what a cutie pie!!! The first name that came to my mind was "Draper". I always associate your decorating style with the fabulous Dorothy Draper.

cardinalkay said...

Love that doggie! KUDOS! I, too, recently rescued a Dachshund puppy after losing a 15-year-old Dachsie. It's bittersweet at times but more sweet than bitter! Kudos to you and your little man! xo

SALLY said...

Too precious--and what a sweet sweet face!
It kind of breaks my heart to think of him
wagging his tail when you walk in the room.
Who could give up such a sweetie? I vote for
the name CHARLIE. It's my current favorite
and it suits him, I think!

rouge said...

He is beautiful. Looks rather like my first dog, Erasmus. (I hope he isn't as naughty).

Harry. He looks like a Harry.

Good luck. We adopted a Great Dane a month ago. It's been tough but he's a keeper.

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy you got another soon. The rescuing of another makes something good come out of Mona not being around. I know it must have been hard to get one so soon...but that was the best thing to do. Doesn't help any to wait....you just miss them and don't have a companion.

I still miss my old Puddin even though I'm surrounded by Violet, Newman, Harvey and Sally.

I see why you were drawn to him. Short legged. Long nose...all my criteria for a dog. Sweet faced. And pretty fur too. I used to think I only wanted girl dogs till I had Newman...and now I adore boy dogs just as much if not more. Hence why I have two boys and two girls. No I don't love them more...but I sure would never pick a dog based on sex ever again. They are equally as wonderful.

As for a name...I am right there with you...real names for dogs....no Itsy, Teenie, Princess for me...I was in college when I named Puddin, Puddin which was short for Puddintane....yes....I was born a redneck. I'm afraid. (I would never ever name a dog something like that now) Although the name really did fit her.

But now....I never name my dogs before hand....they seem to name themselves. Everytime I've thought I wanted to name a dog something before hand...I always changed my mind when I got to know them. They just name themselves.

I'm so happy for you...I want lots of updates!

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Oh...just read that someone suggested Oliver. I like that. I always wanted a little fat girl dachshund named Olive....but none of mine looked like an OIive.

Everyone told me to name Sally, Chloe or Petunia...but Sally is such a Sally...she got that name the first minute I laid eyes on her. Her name at her first trailer park home was Patches....we never say that name. Ever....I've never uttered it....she did not have a good life there...although knowing Sally, she probably tried to make the best of it.

Oh...I can't wait to find out what you decide on.

little augury said...

whatever you come up with- he is a dollface! congratulations.

Tracy @ ComfortandLuxury said...

How wonderful! You obviously have a thing for short blondes.
I am absolutely no help in the pet-naming dept. My dog's name is Bob, not dignified at all, and my cat's name is so ridiculous we just call her Kitty.
Congrats to you all! I hope Richard warms to his new brother real soon.

9d5h41dV2h1f2_dgd45 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HOBAC said...

He looks like a Toulouse to me.

jones said...

I like "Oliver"--he has a wonderful soul beneath that worried brow. Can't wait to see the photos of him when he is all settled in. Richard will adjust pretty quickly once he stops mourning and realizes that he won't get love if he stays under the bed. Besides, it is boring under the bed. Have a super week-end with your new baby. Mary

bob said...

What a handsome sweetheart!!! He does remind you of Mona in his looks! As soon as you listed the names, I thought Harry fit him!
I, too, just brought a rescue dog home last night & have to say everyone loves him & he loves all of us (already!). It feels so good to be able to give a home to a sweet dog/cat that needs one!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Those eyes! (they are smiling) Congrats - so sweet...

Shay said...

Congrats.I applaud you for picking a beautiful boy who needed a loving home
After thinking about this overnight..
I think Napoleon Bonaparte suits this little guy.Napolean for short,pun intended :)...
Napolean was brave,courageous,and famous.
Have fun.Many happy years to both of you.
Shay`designer junk finder

katiedid said...

Yay!!!!!!
What a bundle of CUTE! So glad he found you. You will make the greatest buddy ever. As for a name....Truman (as in Capote) comes to mind. I am sure you will pick a name that is perfect for him. Sending hugs to you both!

Allie said...

He has such warm and beautiful eyes. I think rescues make the very best pets!! Every time you referred to him as lil guy, I thought Guy was a great name! Enjoy getting to know him!

nikishep said...

He has such soulful eyes... How bout... Écouter. It's French for soul.

Margaret said...

Alexander in honor of the great designer who was always in search of a 'home.'

Go hug Richard! He needs to know you're still in love with him as much as this new guy.

XOXOXO

Karena said...

Tooooo cute!! I adore him, I keep thinking my Miss Belle would love a companion!

Karena
Art by Karena

Tammy@InStitches said...

What a sweetheart you are ! He is adorable and reminds me of an Oliver in my neighborhood.

Sarah said...

He looks like one beautiful little thing. I hope he brings happiness to you because I'm sure you'll bring much happiness to him.
Congrats.

Things That Inspire said...

How about Darwin - survival of the fittest! He looks like quite the survivor.

Although I do agree with other readers - Harry and Oliver seem appropriate too.

bazaarofserendipity said...

I like Elliot!

Hes sooo cute! My heart is so full reading that you found another bestfriend/ family member !

I just love that little face. :-)

maison21 said...

thank you to all for the kind words and great name suggestions. my little man and i are having a nice time getting to know each other, and i hope that his personality as it emerges will lead me to his forever name. in the meantime, i keep throwing them out there, and seeing if one sticks!

thanks again- my heart gets full when i think of all the love everyone has been sending our way!

oxoxo

c.

Pigtown-Design said...

what about a nice welsh name? daffydd, gareth, euan, something along the pembrokeshire coast? mennai? carnarfeon....

David said...

I'm so happy for you and your new housemate! (We had a drastic turn of events since my last comment, so I know exactly what you've been going through) He's a beautiful boy, here's hoping Richard relaxes soon and peace returns to the atlier.

We prefer people names here as well. He kind of looks like Bobby to me.

maison21 said...

david, i am so, so sorry. there is nothing else i can say, but i deeply feel for you...

take care.

JeanMarie said...

Congrats, I am pretty certain his name is Nelson.

louise said...

The name "Dexter" keeps coming to mind when I look at your new buddy. He is gorgeous; such a soulfull face. Happy for you both!

Tara said...

Christian, what a handsome fellow! It's so tough to lose a pet and I applaud you for jumping right back into the dance. Looking forward to more of NKOTB!

Lucinda said...

I love him! Mona would give her paw of approval!