07 March 2008

who knew?

maison21, being the huge vintage furniture hag that he is, knew that the henredon furniture company had in the past churned out the occasional hot piece of furniture (the "scenes 1, 2 & 3" series from the 70's comes to mind) but outside of the barbara barry collection produced today, he associated the company with the kind of dark, carved wood "old world" furniture one would find in a tuscan style mcmansion. so you could have knocked maison21 over with a feather when he found out the the glamorous chest of drawers he was drooling over recently was brand new and made by henredon. chic, no? he is coveting a pair for the sides of his bed, but alas, they are a little too tall...

there are a few other delights hidden in amongst the old world "elegance" on the henredon site, so it's worth checking out.

speaking of mass market furniture surprises, what do we think of this martha stewart sideboard for bernhardt? maison21 thinks it's rather elegant with it's "sheraton meets deco" styling, but can't get past the martha name. we definitely have a love/hate thing with the martha- it's mostly love, but we don't know if we'd actually want her (or her furniture) in our home.
ps: maison21 would like to apologize to his readers- all 7 of you (we're up from 5!)- for his recent paucity of posts. we're actually too busy doing decorating to blog about it, but we'll be back soon with some real posts, not stuff like this cheesy filler post we did today!

9 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

oooooh, Martha. You are *so* glam. I think I need that little number....

Suzy said...

Love them both, but I'm with you about Martha!

Julia said...

the 8th reader is in love with you, but alas I am married and you are gay (I assume). You are one of great style and wit. After a hiatus, due to a computer crash, I am back to being a loyal and fully entertained reader!

Habitually Chic said...

I like them both! And you know Martha is very particular and discriminating so if that little number passed her inspection, it's probably really fabulous!

Cindy said...

I like Martha and I love how she bounced back (so like a phoenix).

Not too crazy about many of her things, but that sideboard is great.

Be the change..... said...

I'm CRAZY about martha - probably one of her biggest fans -but even I would be a little sceptical about putting her furniture in my house by name only.....images of grandmotherly hand-me-downs come to mind.....

Things That Inspire said...

I love this Henredon chest. I wonder if it is new? Your characterization of Henredon is so accurate (in general) - it is very well suited to large scale homes (many of which you find in the suburbs here in Atlanta).

Great find!

Alkemie said...

WOW I really love the shiny piece at the bottom. Love the class and glam of the pieces!

maison21 said...

yeah, alkemie, i'm with you on the shiny one- martha or no, i'm going to have to go check it out in person.