01 June 2008

putting my demons to rest

or more perhaps more appropriate- "shhh- my demon is resting".

isn't he adorable?

maison21 never really thought he'd say that about a cat. kittens are adorable, for sure. but a growed up cat? not so much. in fact, even though we've owned cats for many years, m21 has always considered himself a dog person at heart- that is, a dog person until our lil devil, richard, came along. now m21 is a committed dog AND cat person! don't get m21 wrong- he loved richard's predecessor, the regal, talkative and completely blind, miss kitty, very, very much. but maybe it's because he's had richard since he was a kitten, whereas miss kitty came into m21's life as an older adult cat, but somehow with richard, maison21, for the first time , truly "gets" why some people are cat crazy.

richard is funny, playful, loving and completely unpredictable. cats get a bad rap for not being as affectionate as dogs, but not richard- he demands our attention as much, if not more, than his big sister, mona. he just loves being near maison21 (as well as his big sis)- if he's within a couple of feet of either one of us, you can often hear him contentedly purring away, just happy to be in our presence.
if m21 picks richard up when he is completely passed out, like the first pictures of this post, richard immediately responds with a deep rumbling purr- even before he opens his eyes! awwww.

the only difference m21 can see between the two animals and their bond with him, is that where mona never leaves m21's side and would probably prefer to play exclusively with him (though sometimes she will give in and wrestle with her brother), richard, on the other hand, is content playing or hanging all by himself, just as much as he loves being with mona and m21. it cracks m21 up when m21 is downstairs puttering around in the kitchen to hear richard upstairs, jumping and running around like crazy- getting up to god knows what kind of mischief (occasionally followed by the sound of something crashing to the ground). 16 pounds thumping on a hardwood floor is surprisingly loud when you are directly underneath!richard walked into our life 2 years ago sometime in june- maison21 didn't really note the date because he was never planning on keeping him around, instead hoping to find richard a loving home with someone- anyone- else. richard didn't even have a name for the first week he was around- we called him 'lil no-name so we wouldn't get attached. so while we don't know the actual date of richard's birth, or even the date of the anniversary of our first meeting, we do know it was sometime in june, so now that's when we celebrate his special day.

happy birthday, big guy! you 'lil devil, you!

11 comments:

Topsy Turvy said...

Awwww. How cute is that kitty!
No wonder you kept him!
-Lana

Pigtown-Design said...

Geeezzzz. I am gonna cry! It's incredible what joy animals bring to us, and all they ask in return is to be fed, walked and loved. As I sit here, Connor's on his back with his hind feet against the wall. I would post a photo, but he's usually tail-end toward me!

mrlfvl said...

Such precious little rottens you have! Cat or dog, doesn't matter...pets = unconditional love = priceless... My beast drives me bananas, but I still love his beautiful soul...

Suzy said...

Aaaawwww, he is adorable! My two (I feel like one of those crazy people who talks about their pets like they're children) are hilarious. I've always been a cat person, but had never had 2 at the same time. They provide us with hours of entertainment. I promise I'll post photos soon.

maison21 said...

thanks for the kind words, lana, meg, megan and suzy- animals really are the best! always in a good mood, and always happy to see you!

and suzy, you aren't crazy for talking about your pets like they were children. since i'll never have human kids, my pets are for all intents and purposes my children and that's exactly how i refer to them: "my kids".

beachbungalow8 said...

it cracks me up when people name their animal people-y names!i knew a painter with an airdale named 'nancy' .

such a beautiful cat though!

Habitually Chic said...

I love Richard!

And I can't believe you had a Miss Kitty too...well, I guess I can since it's a pretty common name but still. I had Miss Kitty for 14 years starting from when I was about 8 years old. She was the best. I can't wait until I get a real house so I can have pets again.

P.S. to Megan, My parent's have an airdale named Lucy!

SimplyGrove said...

Such a cute kitty!!!! I am a sucker for kitties (not so much cats) and I can see why you kept him!!!

i suwannee said...

i love him. pet his soft ear for me.

Cluny Grey said...

Beautiful cat! He looks so intelligent, and they are soooo special when they choose you!
Just looking at a cat/kitten makes me happy (and I have 2 so I'm delirious most of the time).
Cluny

maison21 said...

suwannee- his soft ears have been duly petted for you (that's something i love to do anyway- not that he is that crazy about it, but i like it, so...)

cluny- he really is intelligent- sometimes i think he's going to just come right out and start talking...

glad you have two of your own to love- i keep think about getting another kitten while he's still young enough to rough house with it, but i just don't know if i can make the commitment to THREE animals. but i sure wouldn't mind another lil kitten...