25 September 2009

i'm a mac, i'm a pc.

(i miss the old super-gay mac logo)

this morning, m21 was perusing one of the non-design blogs he frequents (he won't say which blog, as given the current rancorous political climate it might cause heads to explode, and we are a design blog, not a head-exploding blog), and said blog had an interesting post on how mac usage on their blog had exploded almost 50% in the past two 1/2 years, from 20% to 29%

it inspired m21 to do some checking on his own stats, and yup- people are switching over to macs alright. last summer, we had about 29% mac users, and this summer it's up to 36%. we knew we'd skew higher then the average population because we are a design blog, and macs are, well, more designer-y...

admittedly, m21's non-scientific sampling ain't to be taken seriously- with our readership, just one of you making the switch could make the numbers jump! ;-) still, it took us aback a bit- over a third of our readers? we never imagined it would be that high, given the stats of overall computer sales say mac users comprise about 10% of the market. (fyi- our iphone readership was almost zero a year ago and is now a little over 1%).

we love macs, and basically, it's all we've ever known, computer-wise. to our highly refined and sublimly tasteful aesthetic *sniff, sniff* ;-) the windows operating system is just looks kinda clunky, and visually unappealing, so we couldn't ever imagine changing on aesthetics alone (we're taking interface, not machine- there are some groovy looking PC's out there). we've sacrificed learning autoCAD because of our mac addiction- admittedly a bit of a drawback in the interiors field- but other then that, m21 loves his mac. a lot. (though he desperately needs a new, shiny, faster one- but isn't that the case with ALL technology)?

what say y'all? are you mac or a PC? and why, or why not?

ps: autodesk, maker of autoCAD, why the heck are you not cross platform? architect and designers like moi, lurve their macs, and we *are* your market- seems to me, you are missing the boat on this one. big time.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love my Mac! Can't believe there's not an apple version of Autocad. I'd assume most designers were on Macs.

tartanscot said...

I love me my Mac.

MaryBeth said...

Mac, got one when the first ipod came out just so I could avoid the hassle of trying to sync with a pc. I really loved the fact that it was white when there was no color out there but now I am taking a shine to the sleek tiny airmac. Oh how I want one but $1500.00 to just read blogs and email even I am not that crazy. MB

ArchitectDesign™ said...

well, you hit the nail on the head. I use PC because of AutoCAD at work -and it's just an easy transition to have the same at home. Nothing against macs, nothing against pcs -i think they're just 2 different systems. Macs have prettier packaging -but I can't see my computer anyway -it is hidden away and I use my tv as the monitor with a wireless keyboard and mouse!

maison21 said...

anon- that's one of the reason i wrote my post- most of us designers are on a mac, and we love them, but the leading design software? pc only. retartet.

scot- are you talking about a computer, or a scottish lad?

marybeth- but have you *picked up* the macbook air? it's light as a feather... ;-)

stefan- i didn't know you *could* use a tv as a monitor- my television and my mac are about 6 feet apart, so i'd LOVE to have one less screen! and i'd really love to take a class in autoCAD, but at a thousand bucks for the class, and god only knows how much for a PC that i would only use for cad, i find myself trying to teach myself google sketchup, and will always have to hire people like YOU to interface with auto CAD...

Bonnie said...

I'm on a MAC and love it! I have used PCs and MACs at previous jobs since computers came out. Umm... that doesn't mean you should calculate my age. :) The first computer I purchased was a HP PC but it eventually went kaput. Then I got my MAC and it's a lot more reliable and easy to use. And, I definitely agree that everything is more visually appealing about the MAC! And ditto about the autocad and I definitely want the newest most fastest laptop too! 17" fully loaded...)

The only complaint I have is that it is not very compatible with blogging. I created my blog with "blogger" on google. I can't even center my text plus bunch of other stuff. Hey Google, get with it!

ps. The colorful apple looks good on your blog!

MaryBeth said...

Yes, I want the air just because of how light it is. Are you suggesting I just light finger it out of the store bypassing the check out?? (that is just a joke, I know tone does not come across in email) MB

Anonymous said...

Been using a Mac since the Apple llc as a child. Now I am a graphic designer. I had to use a PC for one particular job, what a nightmare.
You can learn Cad here for a lot less than $1000 and probably better. Lynda.com rocks for learning complicated software. I use it all the time to keep up to speed.
http://tinyurl.com/y8hbrma

mary said...

I switched about a year ago...Vista was such a pain in the butt. I think I love it, but being techno-phobic, it is hard to tell. Have a great week-end with Mona et al.

Topsy Turvy said...

Good point, Christian - autocad should have a mac version. I've worked on both macs and pcs (not by choice) and the difference is way more than prettier packaging. Macs are so much more user friendly, and intuitive in the way they operate. Plus there is the issue of security - as in viruses that plaque pcs. Macs are just made better and function better – you don't need an IT person on speed dial. I know the switch from pc to mac is painful, but once you get used to mac, you won't go back.

And for those of us who are all about style, the pc interface is not pretty at all!

I also can't imagine life without an iPhone. (ok, that might be silly, but they are pretty great.)

Steve Jobs is genius.

–Lana

HOBAC said...

Ever heard the saying, once ya go mac ya never go back? Well it's true.

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

lovin' my mac!

I've been using macs for the past 12 years ... and I'll never go back!

Tracy @ Comfort and Luxury said...

I was a mac waaaaay back at the dawn of desktop publishing. Loved it then and I'd probably cry to see how much more fabulous they are now, but for 16 yrs I've had a job with pc-driven software so no more mac for me. My daughter's a mac who won't go back and just bought herself a skinny little silver macbook that makes my hp laptop look like a dinosaur.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

After the initial foray into Wang... yes, I'm that vintage, all of my jobs required me to use a PC. Even in advertising. Until an art director got a new Mac and generously willed me his old G4. As he told my boss -"Chris has an aesthetic. He can't use that other thing."

He was right. When I left the office, the first thing I did was buy a MacBook Pro. It's just so much more pleasing to use. I can't imagine taking a step back into PC world... and technical support hell.

Anonymous said...

I'm using my MacBookPro right now, but I also have a 20" iMac. I love that the monitor is everything you need. I was trying to use my friends PC the the other day and I couldn't figure it out. I'll assume it was the tiny dot they think is a trackball.

You should check out Google SketchUp. It comes in a free and a Pro format and works with a Mac.

http://sketchup.google.com/index.html

tula said...

i go both ways, baby. ;)

for graphics, it's mac all the way. for project management, docs, and other non-glamourous stuff -- it's the PC.

love the gay mac icon, too.