07 May 2011

thanks, mom.

after my mother passed away, i discovered a large manila folder with my name on it, containing artwork i made during my elementary school years, including every single mother's day and birthday card i ever made her. how amazing that things i had long forgotten were special enough to her to carry through many moves, and to hold on to until well after i was a grown adult and had flown the coop. she certainly nurtured my artistic side as a kid, and discovering the envelope brought back many happy memories of her driving me to the art supply or hobby store to indulge whatever crafty project was my obsession at the moment; i also remember her response whenever i repeated the oft heard childhood complaint of "mom, i'm bored", it was always, "why don't you draw me something, then?"
today, as i happily make my living indulging my creative side, i know it couldn't have happened without my mother's love and encouragement as a child. 
thanks, mom.

as always, i love you and i miss you. tomorrow, on mother's day, i promise i'll draw you something.
my glamorous mom (and moi) on a hawaiian cruise, chic as ever in her tousled bouffant and cherry-blossom embroidered cheongsam.

14 comments:

claudia b said...

Beautiful post, what sweet memories to have.

Teresa at Splendid Sass said...

So a beautiful tribute, Christian.
Teresa
xoxo

Paul Anater said...

This is a beautiful pot Christian. Where would any of us be without moms?

Raina Cox said...

Oh, that made me a bit teary.

I hope tomorrow is filled with wonderful memories for you.

Jamie said...

Your post is so touching.

meenal bishnoi said...

such a beautiful post, christian..your gorgeous mother is surely looking down on you and smiling..happy mother's day to you!!btw..love your blog..and now following you! do visit my blog when you have a moment..you may follow it if you like! xx meenal

Vickie said...

Lovely, lovely tribute to your sweet mother, Christian. I know she was so very proud of her baby boy! God bless you!

Elle said...

thx for sharing:).. I feel the same way about my grand mother who always encouraged me and has kept every drawing I have ever made.. she is still alive today:).. xoxo

angie@bonita-interiors said...

Truly sweet and beautiful sentiment to your beautiful and stylish mother. I am sure you are drawing something beautiful today.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Aaw, she is smiling down on you right now! I have lots of my own kids artwork stashed away myself. So fun to look back on all of it. Hope you are well, Christian!

maison21 said...

i hope each and every one of you- whether mother or child- had a fabulous mother's day today!

Jane George said...

omigoodness, look at that design talent from an early age! Lovely post. Go moms!

Bromeliad said...

Nice memories. And your art was pretty good for a little guy, too.

Lily Preuss said...

Totally, utterly in love with this post. :) How cute are you? How fab is Mom?? Lovelovelove!