30 November 2009

same old, same old (but it makes us happy)

every year on the weekend after thankgiving, maison21 has the same old feelings of anticipation and dread. anticipation because our faker than fake 'tree of a thousand balls' makes us happy, and dread, because hanging a thousand balls feels like hanging a hundred thousand...

still, it's not the holidays without a tree (even a fakedy-fake one, as m21 loves), so nothing to do but dive in! the resulting process takes several days- rearranging furniture, hanging ornaments, getting bored with hanging ornaments, taking a break and watching some bad tv, then repeating all steps until tree and room look like sumpthin'- but in the end, once the tree of a thousand balls is up n' pretty, m21 is always happy he took the time, because it really feels like the holidays now! all we need now is lots and lots of presents wrapped in silver paper tied with white ribbon to complete the scene! (better get busy with that, m21!)
(thank goodness we've been storing the chippendale dining chairs for a client, since there was no room for any of our own chairs with the tree!)

what does YOUR tree look like? m21 would love to see! do you like fakedy-fake like maison21? or are you a traditionalist? email a us a picture,and maybe we'll do a post of reader's trees!

11 comments:

jones said...

As for me...I love the smell of real--but your tree is over the top gorgeous. I'm doing some fake for the windows today. Have fun--Jones just ate a ball.
Mary

maison21 said...

thanks mary! i love the smell of a real tree too- i wish mine sprayed real pine scent every 20 mins (just kidding). i actually don't care if one goes real or fake, i just like people to decorate! it's just... fun.

and i hope jones ate a plastic ball, not a glass one! ouch! (richard's first xmas, i had to torture him by keeping the vacuum cleaner next to the tree. when he got too close, i switched it on. i felt quite guilty but i would have felt wose if he cut himself on a glass ornament...

Kitty said...

just sent mine in thanks!

red ticking said...

your tree is lovely... i have to have the fresh green tree... even on its own ... i just love the look and fragrance... have a wonderful holiday season..

Tracy @ Comfort and Luxury said...

Bee-yoo-tee-ful!!!
I love my fake (green) tree and its load of colorful ornaments. And if there's not a string of bad Lifetime movies on to keep me company while I decorate, my Mary Poppins dvd does the trick! (and drives my family out of the room so I can trim the tree all by my lonesome... just the way I like it!)

tula said...

i have a little aluminum tree i put up on a table and always get a real tree, too. i wish i could get a larger aluminum, but it would become a gigantic cat toy.

Tammy@InStitches said...

Your fakety tree is fabulous and sparkly ! Mine is up but it has NO presents under it. I've been thinking all week how sad a tree is with no presents...... need to shop !

honey living said...

STUNNING! i would even say...bewitching. i love it.

you should get a good pine scented candle - smell of the tree, or go with one of the great smelliny voluspa or dyptique ones.

Bonnie said...

Fabulous! Your tree look amazing! Is it pre-lite? What color is it underneath the ornaments? You described the process just right, I'd just add some cookies!

I had a real tree before, which is lovely and smells wonderful but is messy to clean up, and cost money and its kinda sad that the tree was cut just for decor. I have a fakedy fake tree now that looks real. Wish I could get one thats even taller. I like putting up smaller trees in other rooms too.

Jessica@thelovelist.net said...

Awhile back, Slatkin candle company sent me a big box of candles to give away on my blog and I kept a few for myself - the "Fresh Balsam" and "Winter" scents are awesome for people with fake trees, because they both have that evergreen Christmas smell that everyone loves. And they really do smell wonderful and fill up the room, not overpowering or like drugstore candles. Just a tip for anyone missing that smell ;)

Annie said...

Oh my goodness - I'm seriously dying over here - that is the best fakedy fake tree ever! I WANT one! I love my white tree, but this thing is faboo!!