13 April 2010

f & s fabrics (west side fabric shopping)

in today's rotten economy, not every project has a budget that allows maison21 to purchase from the PDC, so sometimes we have to be a bit crafty about where to source our fabrics from. with this in mind, we've already taken you on a field trip to the bowels of the downtown los angeles garment district for shopping on a shoestring, and shared our fave neighborhood haunt of diamond foam and fabric as well; and today we are going to toddle down pico blvd to the westside of los angeles, to visit f & s fabrics...

f & s is a retail fabric store, open to the public, and their laaaarge selection strikes a nice balance between trendy and classic, all at reasonable price points. they have an especially good selection of outdoor fabrics, as well as a great array of crewel work and embroideries. we love them and we hope you will too.

here's some photos we hurriedly snapped on our last visit:

candy colored outdoor stripes.

brightly colored ikat prints

more ikat (and suzani) prints

great selection of crewel work

more crewel

striped and plaid raffias

grrrrrr- lots o' animal prints

think you might find a silk solid that will work for you?

and while you are at f & s, be sure to stop at the nearby apple pan for a burger and a slice of pie- a los angeles institution since 1947, and a favorite old school cool lunch spot of m21's (don't be scared of the line- it moves pretty fast).
see ya on the west side!

9 comments:

bazaarofserendipity said...

do you remember aprox how much the ikat fabrics were per yard?

www.bazaarofserendipity.blogspot.com

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Oh...you are so lucky to have access to the garment district and all those fabulous discount fabric shops. Last time I was in LA...we spent and afternoon shopping there. I couldn't believe the beautiful things we could get for the fantastic prices.

I have nothing like it here. I've only seen such beautiful and well priced stuff in Los Angeles and New York (or was it New Jersy?)

Super jealous, I am.

Stop by my blog and see my dear Violet...I finally got around to doing a photo shoot of her. I'll do the other weenies soon.

Nita@ModVintageLife

GKelley said...

Your posts make me miss living in LA so much! I was a big fan of F&S (and the Apple Pan) when I lived nearby in Beverlywood several years ago. I taught myself how to sew using their fabrics to decorate our little cape cod house. I also loved a store called The Cotton Box (on La Cienega or La Brea - can't remember). Wonder what ever happened to it?

theshinyfilthyorder said...

After 3 1/2 years living in LA, I JUST made it to F&S for the first time ever today. Ah-mah-zing. Last week's dtwn trip was a bust so I'll be checking out your garment district post for sure. thanks!

Tammy@InStitches said...

*swoon* You are speaking my language !

nicole said...

I have a fabric store near my house that I go to at least once a week. I just like to look at it, even if I dont need anything.

Love the Ikats and suzanis!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Wonder how long it would take me to get there from Chattanooga?

ashlina said...

oooh i have GOT to check that out.

Debbie said...

I have been hunting for that gray and yellow ikat since seeing it in a magazine recently. Since Dayton isn't close to LA, any hints on the distributor of that fabric? I need it!