11 April 2010

"you got good stuff here, class 'A' chit."

people think m21 is kidding when he cites the movie scarface as one of his major design influences.

he is not. it is.

maybe not as influential as say, david hicks, but seriously, it's up there- gilt cherubs and all. ok, maybe not the gilt cherubs (tony montana's vegas honeymoon suite of a bathroom- oy), but most of the sets from the movie are pretty damn fierce, especially tony montana's dark and moody office- that's some "class 'a' chit"...

here's some favorite stills from the film- judge for yourself:

yes to everything but the vertical blinds- cutting edge at the time, now just cheap rental tacky- but the rougier lamps, non-stop sofa, lucite bubble chair and ellsworth kelly style canvas? good chit, all.

ok- over the top, especially all the cherub's n' chit, but yes to the lucite towel rack, grotto chairs and gold jaru canisters.

and waaaay yes to a young stephen bauer.

m21 has always had a hankerin' for a vintage citroen.

we'll take the doors for the atelier, thank you...

is that bazillion dollar-a-yard scalamandre "le tigre" velvet that caddy is upholstered with? ;-)

get rid of that hid-ee-us skirted table, and the mob boss living room ain't so bad- love the tufted sofas, and we could work little mr. footed cerule-base coffee table...

tony's office is pretty much perfection. maybe a tad too much bad gilt, but hey, that desk and those wing chairs make up for it, ya know? and those floor lamps on top of the desk- so wrong, and yet oh so right!


so what do we think, kids? influential design? or has m21 been snorting too much "class 'a' chit"?*

and last the 'not serious part' (though of course, the entire post is a tad "tongue in chit"), courtesy of my good friend (and client), the bachelorette:



*quote from masterpiece-movie-lines.com

9 comments:

jones said...

This set is not my favorite--and the movie........ Mary

artluvr said...

The office, absolutely, is some good chit. I wonder about why it and everything else --the car, the bathroom, office, etc.-- are so completely different in style. Was the set decorator trying to tell us something about the character's personal life versus his "business?"

Some great pieces in the living room, but the office, tiger-upholstered car, and that bathroom??? "You got your head up your poodle..."

XXXOOO
Sue in RI

nicole said...

You crack me up... The bathroom is hideous, but the rest of it can be interpreted. I LOVE the floor lamps on the desk... And I have black walls in my bedroom. So maybe I am with ya on this one!

Margaret said...

I do see the 'Scarface' influences in your m21 decor! Do you know who designed the set? This blog is mesmerizing and reveals the beautiful world of movie sets:

http://wwwcinemastyle.blogspot.com/

Not my blog, just a gem I stumbled over.

Cathy Whitlock said...

Great post about a very over the top film! Ed Richardson was the film's art director/designer and also did another iconic film --American Gigolo -- the costumes by Patricia Norris are worth noting too.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

OMG, I need to see that movie again. Those sets are genius.
PS. Are you going to the Scalamandre party on the27th? Wanna be my date? xx

Amy @ShelterPop said...

Did you just spot Scalamandre in Scarface? Genius! Dare you to find Fortuny in the Godfather...

HAMPTON HOSTESS said...

As always, you make me laugh and you make me think.Scarface is one of my favorite movies (scary, right)--I think the house (faux chateau?) looks much better after its riddled with a few bullets! I'm with you on the lucite and Citroen-they can keep the cherubs.

gentrifyrichmond said...

Hrm, I could deal with some of the set, but the red and black entryway, while good for hinting at the gory finale, gives me an icky feeling. There have only been two other things that have given me that same feeling of despair: the underground Stalin-era trainstation in Prague (same red/black colors, dim lighting, torture room defintely on opposite hall complete with a giant Wolfenstein-esque goon) and the 70s Disney-movie "The Black Hole" (also complete with black, red, and dim lighting).