07 October 2010

fall into the crap

and that's just what the poor gap corporation did, when they unveiled their new logo.  not exactly a brilliant move to burnish their already troubled image...
oy vey.  sad thing is, most people want to like the gap, but sometimes it's just so hard...

unleashing the worst logo in decades may have been a bad move for gap inc., but it has brought out the best of the internets! in 48 hours, there have been countless press mentions of the debacle (including this one), and now there is a snarky @gaplogo twitter feed, and some smart programmer set up a site to make your very own ugly logo here:

another enterprising person claims they will be selling t-shirts:


one blog kicked off a competition to create a redesign of the logo redesign, and then gap corporation themselves got in on the action, announcing they would be "crowd-sourcing" a new logo redesign contest, open to all.  not exactly a bad PR strategy, we think- making lemonade from an uglyass lemon!

contest entry- not so bad!


personally, i'd like gap to return to it's original logo from 1969- it's been long enough that it doesn't look so much dated, as retro cool:


what do you think of the redesign, and resulting storm?


12 comments:

Your Salon Professional said...

Love the circa-1969 Gap store! You're right: This is where they should be brand-wise.

Brilliant Asylum said...

This actually made my graphic designer husband irate. I think it's pretty lame, but am amused at the outrage all the same.

Rachel said...

This is hilarious! I had no idea they were redesigning their image. And you're right! It's awful!!

I wonder if the team who approved of this re-design still has their jobs....

Margaret said...

Everything you said is correct. And, if you're vying for attention, this would suffice, I guess (no pun intended).

CHELZERS said...

it's terrible. not even logo-ish. I agree the original 60's logo is awesome!

Sketch42 said...

I liked the logo they already had MUCH BETTER! I agree... .total crap. and I like the original logo too. Retro.

Teresa at Splendid Sass said...

I'm with you. Let well enough alone.
I am crying from laughing at this post. You are a trip!
Teresa

Slim Paley said...

Ha! too funny- I was just writing a post with a reference to "The" (I remember when it was still 'The') Gap right now, so thanks for the link to the new logo. :)
You are right- so BOOORRRRINNNG

whitecabana said...

Ha ha ha - the make-your-own logo site is pretty funny. I hate what the Gap has come up with and I'd be happy enough if they went back to their original logo. Alternatively, they could just get rid of that silly square and call it a day.
-Jordana

Pigtown-Design said...

ohhh... mind the crap!

Elizabeth said...

Sheesh, I'm off the internet for a week and everything goes to hell. What were they thinking? It looks like a lousy logo for software or something- certainly not clothing basics. Of course, that's not the only underwhelming thing about the Gap lately!

julia wheeler said...

i agree... back to the vintage logo!