12 March 2009

is it just me? (or boy, is my inbox stuffed!)

is it just m21? or has anyone else noticed an uptick of email ads since the downturn? seems like we get an email ad every single day from some retailers (talkin' to YOU, j. crew!) and the rest seem to be averaging at least twice a week. target, west elm, williams-sonoma, pottery barn, z gallerie (15% off accessories right now, btw), crate and barrel, cb2, amazon, borders, restoration, gumps- the list goes on and on. we know we should unsubscribe to declutter our inbox, but what if we miss a true bargain? or something completely essential to our health and well-being, you know- like these straw bluebirds, 4 for $24.00 from williams-sonoma?
just kidding about the bluebirds, btw- they're cute and all, but we need them 'round the atelier like octomom needs more kids. besides, we're not buying anything right now, as we're saving up for the upcoming michael jackson auction....

how's everybody else's inbox doing? is maison21 the only fool that subscribes to these things?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ditto!

The Little Big House said...

Yeah I had to unsubscribe from a bunch of lists recently because i kept getting those 'on sale now' notifications. and Especially from JCrew! West Elm has an option where you can get less emails but not unsubscribe completely, but that was still too much! I ended up unsubscribing all together - although I do sometimes miss them.

maison21 said...

little big- you convinced me- i just unsubscribed to j.crew and williams-sonoma as they were the worst offenders, and i think i'll check who has options for less- it's outta control!

My Notting Hill said...

Yes, there has been so many more email ads, including the spam ones. If I had a $1 for every "I've found a job for you..." and "Houses half-price!" the recession would be over for me.

Ava Lee said...

*giggles at octo mom reference*

sad but true

custardbydesign said...

great blog... by the way, micheal jacksons complete set of auction items are on view in Newbridge Silverware for the next 2weeks so i hope to get a chance to go see that...

back to you and your blog, terrific reading and musings...

katiedid said...

YES! J. Crew....just stop it!

Rachel said...

LOL!! I know, every morning I think that I must be popular, but then I see the ads are just from Pottery Barn, West Elm, Frontgate, etc.... like you said, it's gotten pretty bad.
Since we're on an extremely tight budget right now (how fun is trying to pay off your credit card debt in a recession, when you're in sales???) I just go through and delete them straight away. If I look, I'll be tempted!
But I'm like you though, I don't want to totally unsubscribe because I don't want to miss that awesome bargain that might just come along when I need it... ;-)

Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog about our doggies! Fortunately for us, our pups all get along - or at least stay out of the older ones' ways. It is sad to see that during these times so many people can't afford their pets, and that the Humane Society (which doesn't turn any away) was overflowing. When we inquired about volunteering, they told us what they were in dire need of was foster homes, so we took a chance and it's worked out okay.
Good for you for adopting a kitty!! Now, see, that would be the one thing we couldn't foster or adopt - I think the chihuahua would think it was his new "toy"...

Take care!

Paul Pincus said...

useless but so adorable ; )

ps re: mj collection ... my partner is also SO bidding!