16 July 2008

i got yer crafty...

mrs. blandings' latest post combined images of fabrics designed by alan campbell, along with a warm story relating her memories of making a batik print elephant in the sixth grade. (see style court and katiedid for more on mr. campbell)

maison21 will never understand the magic of mrs. b's writing- pairing images of home decor fabric with a sweet story from her childhood seems like such a disparate combo, but of course mrs. blandings pulls it off with ease. while maison21 may not be able to match mrs. b's knack for spinning a beautiful tale, in this case, he can try to match her lovely story with an image from his past:

behold the maison21 batik parrot, a sixth grade project of his very own, lovingly preserved for decades in an oversized manila envelope bearing m21's name, written in his mother's precise elementary school teacher printing. the art of batik must have been big in grade 6 arts & crafts! (this project, presaging a theme in masion21's later life, is completely faux- image was painted on paper, then crumpled and the wax process used to provide the batik effect).

thanks for providing me with another happy childhood memory, mrs b. (and thank you mom, wherever you are, for caring enough to keep your budding artiste's early efforts for all those years).

13 comments:

Style Court said...

Maison -- I love it! Thanks for sharing this.

(Mrs. B is amazing but you have a gift too, BTW)

Mrs. Blandings said...

I only wish I had mine to share. Mr. B had a particular painting style in pre-school. He painted vertical lines above the paint pot in question. The teachers had a bit of fun mixing up the colors to see if he would maintain the pattern or the method. Method. If the paints were orange, red, blue so where the stripes on the paper. My mother in law did save these and they are so endearing. Mr. B, not so much the artist.

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud....great day starter!! Your picture is adorable and I congratulate your Mom for cherishing your early works. You had an early "eye" and your mother knew it! Ginny

All Things Bright and Beautiful... said...

Maison! - you have missed your calling - you should have been an artiste!!

I love it

DY does too and he said to say that you haven't missed your calling - you are an artiste:-)

Hugs bug

Felicity

PS Internet has been down at home for the past 2 years - I'm delirious... what am I saying??? - it feels like years - but I mean DAYS so I haven't been over to thank you for the award too either before this.

maison21 said...

style court- thank you! i'm no mrs b (seriously the best writer blogging) but i try!

and of course, you certainly are no slouch yourself!

maison21 said...

mrs. b- thanks again for providing me with the inspiration for this post- i had completely forgot about my folder of early masterpieces sitting in a drawer until i read about your 6th grade elephant.

and i don't know, i think mr. b sounds like he could have had a career as a minimalist painter. i'm sure SOMEONE is famous for painting nothing but stripes over the course of their career. the example that comes to mind is kenneth noland with 40 years of painting nothing but concentric circles...

maison21 said...

ginny-

that folder was a complete shock to me- we found it when cleaning out my late parent's garage.

apparently, my mother was convinced that i would be a great artist one day (or so my sister speculated) as out of 4 children, i was the only one with a saved folder of artwork.

or maybe since i was the baby by years, she wanted to hold on to reminders of her last little one, and didn't have the time or energy when the others were underfoot...

maison21 said...

felicity-

DY is my new best friend!

and two days? my internet was down for 3 hours the other night, and i thought i'd go mad. it really is a bit of an addiction...

Ann said...

Nice artwork, and you did that on sixth grade? Nice post...I had fun reading it.

maison21 said...

thanks, ann!

Anonymous said...

I am so touched by your "discovery" of the little packet of artwork. How interesting....I have saved only my youngest (by many years)daughter's artwork. She is a very talented artist but prefers to express herself in her writing. Looks like you were "gifted"with both of these talents as well.

Thank you M21....Ginny

Pigtown-Design said...

You're just so multi-talented!

maison21 said...

ginny- trust me, you're daughter will really appreciate your saving her artwork one day, even if she only concentrates on writing. just the fact that you cared enough to save her things will touch her deeply- it did me.

meg- my 11 year old self thanks you!