09 July 2008

putting lipstick on the pig...

one of my esteemed fellow bloggers, the house of beauty and culture (who also provides the best music playlist to pair with each of his posts), recently took the "moscow mafioso" chandelier of my recent post, and designed a stunning room around it- literally, as he put it, making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.


the room he designed includes the above classic regency recamier chaise- a piece of furniture maison21 has always coveted, but never, ever had a spot for. you NEED to go check out the stunning imaginary room he's designed here.

maison21 thought that hobac is on to something here, and thought this might be a fun idea for a "design blogger's challenge"- take the overblown monstrosity, and try to chic it up. so here's our own effort- not quite as tasteful as hobac's room for a robber baron, as m21's magpie-like predilection for all things shiny naturally renders his room more "robber" than "baron" (think scarface):


we're picturing using the chandelier in an grand scale entry hall with red lacquered walls like this steven gambrel living room (via studio annetta).

we'd tile the floor in camel colored parchment leather from costello studios, inc.- michelle costello does the most exquisite leather and parchment floors, walls and furniture.


we'd toss in a zebra skin on top of the leather (responsibly culled, non-endangered, zebra skin, via the trophy room).



add one of these fab heathcote center tables- grrrr! (jamb, via 1stdibs).



we'll need a pair of these chic black lacquered karl springer-esque console tables (sydelle & jay livingston, via 1stdibs)


above which we would hang these goatskin mirrors, bringing a bit of the floor up on to the walls. (craig van den brulle, via 1stdibs)



we'd also need to add in some antique elements, like these gilt bronze wall sconces, to bring the modern down a notch, as things really are getting a little too scarface in our imaginary entry hall! (antiques on old plank road, via 1stdibs).


last, even robber barons need a place to throw their bag when they walk in the front door (filled with $100 dollar bills and blow, no doubt), so we'd add a pair of these mastercraft side chairs along a wall (talisman, via 1stdibs)

so is anyone else up for a design blogger's challenge? all are welcome to play! mrs. blandings, you commented that a romp with the chandelier in a bordello could be fun- up for it? katiedid, you mentioned you thought it could work in the right setting- care to share said setting with us?

c'mon bloggers, let's rise to the challenge, and put some lipstick on this pig:

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lion-skin rug, not a zebra.

muralimanohar said...

Well...MY heart just stopped, when the page loaded and I saw that chaise. Divine.

Sadly, I am not up to the task of designing a room..I don't even have pretensions to being a designer! lol (I'll say one thing, though, if I *did* design a room, that heathcote table thing would be BANNED....sorry! :P )

Mrs. Blandings said...

I'm in! But it will take me the weekend. Goodness, I can't wait.

maison21 said...

anon- i have problems enough with a responsibly culled, non- endangered zebra as a rug, let alone some born-free king of beasts under foot (normally i just use cow hides- i can at least justify that, since they are raised as livestock.

murali- it's ok if you don't like my center table choice- if i were designing your home, i'd give you several options to chose from. but i think scarface likes this one...

maison21 said...

woo hoo, mrs. b! it is *i* who can't wait! fun, fun, fun!

Suzy said...

OK, I'm in too - but you might have to give me some time...

maison21 said...

yay! suzy too! this is getting exciting!

Cote de Texas said...

y'all are some bored mf's

as my husband likes to say to me!!!

j/k

I don't think I can be in though, I have like no imagination.

maison21 said...

joni- not bored- more like obsessed! i put together my picks for the room while i really should have been preparing for a meeting!

i saw your comment over at hobac, and i couldn't agree more- i too was in awe. i could NEVER put together a room like his, even if i tried.

sure you don't want to play? i'm sure you could french-ify my gaudy chandelier, and turn out a chic room around it!

katiedid said...

I am IN! I am away this weekend but will be totally on it when I return. I always thought this would make a great reality design series. M21...we should totally copywright the idea and make a mint. Bravo...you heard it here first!

katiedid said...

P.S....exactly how big is this gem anyway?

maison21 said...

awesome, katie's in too! this really will be fun!

chandelier was massive- 50" wide by 65" high, but since our room is imaginary, we can make the chandlier any size you please. the rules will be stricter when the maison21/katiedid decorator's showdown premiers on bravo. :)

i can't wait to see everyone's results- that's one of the fun things about decoratin'- no two designer's will ever turn out the same room.

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

This is fantastic! This is what so is so attractive about blogging. Kudos M21.

maison21 said...

thank *YOU* hboac, for your great post and idea to design a room around this baby. i'm really looking forward to seeing everyone else's room, though i'm afraid that you set the bar rather intimidatingly high for the rest of us mere mortals!

Lena said...

I was only going to post that this looks like it came right out of Saudi Arabia!.....Then at closer look I noticed that there are cresent moons on the top of the domes which are in fact islamic! sooooo my eye was correct! These things are a dime a dozen in the Middle East.

Ok....so they are original to the middle eastern design style, but how do we chic it up? A huge quest indeed!

pve design said...

"le Voltage" is on over at my place-
Please rsvp!

inner_child said...

I hope I am up to the challenge:
http://mizensen.blogspot.com/